Friday, September 17, 2010

The Red Rock Relay!!

I have to say I thought this would be a breeze! I so wanted to start the race that I picked the first leg.  That gave me the 13th leg and the 25th leg automatically. I was only suppose to be running a total of 10 miles is one day. EAsy CheEsy Right!  WROng..........It ended up being really hard.  My first run started at the bottom of Brian Head ski lift at 7:00 am. We had to get up at 5:00 am to make it on time and I hadn't sleep well at all the night befor. (prerace jitters) I was all ready to go and bundled up in my emergence blanket like a tinfoil dinner when they told me my start was being but off another 25 minutes.  That sucked because I was pumped and ready to go.  Finally I rode up and ran down.  It ended up being a very rocky downhill trail with a little up and straight aways.  I had practiced running down dry canyon so I conquered that run well.  It ended up being 4.02 more than stated. (or I took a wrong turn). My next leg also got delayed by 45 minutes.  We were all so fast they hadn't set the course up enough for us so I ended up taking off at 5:25.  It was a 90 degree day so it was hot.  I was running on a highway with heavy after work traffic.  Many intersections were I had to wait for cars and such.  This run ended at 3.9 miles.  My last and final run was at 3:15 am.  It was suppose to be 3.5 miles but ended up being a little over 5 miles and it was almost all up a really steep hill.  This was a really tough run for me because I hadn't slept for two nights straight and I HATE hill running.  I pushed through and never walked and made my way up that dang hill!!!
My van was super fun.  I loved all the women we raced with and had many adventures I'll never forget! Southern Utah is a beautiful country.  I think I'll not run for a week or two and get to where I want to go for a run because right now I'm not feeling it!

No comments:

Post a Comment